Independence Day 10K

by Kim on July 7, 2012

I tried to keep my nerves calm yesterday, but as the sun started to set, I got more and more nervous for this morning’s 10k race.  I don’t know why 10k races make me so nervous, but they do.  Every time.  I fueled up last night with this project cookbook recipe:

Vegetable Couscous with Moroccan Pesto
Great Easy Meals: 250 Fun & Fast Recipes
By Food Network Magazine

It was super tasty.  The cinnamon made is smell awesome as the vegetables simmered.  And the pesto was a nice alternative to traditional basil pesto, combining parsley, cilantro, and almonds.

The recipe didn’t have a clear protein source so I added sautéed tofu (not pictured) to make sure we were satisfied with this dinner.  It definitely hit the spot, made a ton and was super filling.  Coming in at 525 calories per serving, the recipe can easily be revised to cut the amount of butter and olive oil, a fourth of a cup each between the pesto, the veggies, and the couscous!   I’m actually surprised that the recipe is only 525 calories per serving based on that much butter/oil.  On a side note, if the cookbook states the calorie information, then I report that number (which this cookbook does).  If the cookbook doesn’t have the calorie information, I manually calculate it.  It’s tedious, but I know it’s accurate.  Anyway, this recipe is a winner and I’ll cut the fat next time I make it.

With a full belly, I headed to bed early, hoping to get a good night’s sleep, which rarely happens the night before a race.  I woke up a few times over the course of the night and finally got up at 6 AM.  I got ready and left the house at 6:30 AM, only to discover it was already over 80 degrees out.  Ugh.

I got to White Rock Lake just after 7 AM and found my bib number.

I have some time before the start of the race so I enjoyed the scenery.

That’s downtown Dallas off in the distance.   It was getting close to the start, so I headed down the hill.  I was amazed how many people showed up to run in the heat!

More lake scenery.

I ran into my friend, Jenny, right before the start.  That was a nice surprise!  I never see people I know at races!

And then it was time to start!  Boy was it hot!  I hit the half-mile mark and I was already covered in sweat.  I decided early on not to push it and burn out quickly.  So I was moving slow.  The water stations came and I drank at every one of them. I also threw water on me at every one of them too.  The ice-cold water was a relief for about a minute and then the cold wore off it I was just plain wet.  But at that point it was hard to tell whether I was wet from sweat or water.  Jenny ran the 5k portion of it, so I saw her on her way back (it was an out and back race).  She was flying!  I did my best to cheer for her as she passed me.  I always get jealous at the turn around point for 5k/10k races when I’m running the 10k portion.  I want to turn around too!  But I kept going.  I ran solidly to the 10k turn around.  My butt was sore and my back was aching.  I can tell my body has gotten too used to the treadmill!  On the way back I stopped and stretched once and took a couple very short walking breaks, all the way telling myself, run to the water.  When I started to feel down, I tried to remember how far I’d come over the year.  With about a mile and a half to go, the finish line was in clear sight, which was a bit of a tease.  It looked like it was about half a mile away, but the course took us on a winding path that stretched that distance out and I lost sight of the finish line.  I kept trucking and before I knew it, I saw Jenny, her husband, Adam, and the finish line!  Jenny and Adam were sweet enough to stick around after their 5k portion to cheer me on.  I love seeing a familiar face in races!  It helps me push through!

So the official times aren’t up yet, but the last look at the clock I got displayed 1:07.  My Nike+ GPS reported 1:07:07.  My slowest 10k to date, but when I got back to the car, the temperature read 92 degrees.  The real feel has been about 5 degrees hotter, so my guess is the air felt like 97 degrees at that point.  So while it was by far my slowest 10k, I’m satisfied with my time.  I’ll be sure to update this post once the official times are up!

There wasn’t any swag for this race since it was free through the Dallas Running Club, but I did use my $10 Dallas Running Club bucks that I got when I joined to buy a fun dry-fit shirt.

Pretty cool, huh?  I thought it was fitting since I will be spending a lot of time at White Rock Lake over the next few months as I train for my first full marathon!  Eeek!

UPDATE: The official time is in: 1:06:43, which is about a 10’44” pace.  Slow, but expected in this heat!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: